The government announced earlier this month that people are now entitled to up to €50,000. This money can be used to renovate a vacant property to make it habitable. The grant is available to anyone who plans to turn a vacant house into their permanent home. If you are eligible for the grant you are entitled to €30,000 up front payment and an additional €20,000 is the property is derelict.
There are certain criteria that must be met before you are entitled to the grant.
- Your home must be vacant for at least two years before you are entitled to it.
- The home must have been built before 1993.
- You must 0wn or be in the process of buying the property.
- You must live at the property once the renovations are complete.
- You must have tax clearance from Revenue and Local Property Tax must be paid if applicable.
The grant covers a range of work such as, demolition and site clearance, foundations, walls, damp proofing, plumbing, electrical work and all other aspects of the building process. All work must be completed by professionals and invoices will be required.