The weather in Wexford and across the country, has certainly been colder in recent weeks! In this colder weather, our heating systems are turned on for longer periods in our homes. This can prove to be costly. Making a few small changes can add up to big savings. Here are our tips to save you money on your heating:
- Check your window seals. These can wear over time, causing gaps and heat to escape.
- Even a little sunlight will help heat your home naturally, so make sure curtains and blinds are open during the day.
- Once the sun goes down, close curtains and blinds. This will help to trap heat in the room.
- Ensure your attic is insulated to avoid heat escaping through the roof.
- Bleed your radiators to make sure they are working as effectively as possible. This will avoid heating being switched on for longer than necessary.
- Don’t have your thermostat set too high. It shouldn’t be over 20 degrees. Lowering it by even 1 degree could reduce your bill by 10%.
- Turn off radiators in rooms that you’re not using, then keep doors closed to help minimise the space you’re heating.
- Carpeted rooms retain heat better than other flooring types. If you don’t have carpets, consider adding rugs.